By Anne Eickstadt

COURTESY PHOTO Belvidere Republican
Boone County Fire District #2 responding to barn fire on Pearl Street Road.

At 4:46 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22, a 911 call was received by Boone County Fire District #2 regarding a shed on fire on Pearl Street Road. The volunteer firefighters promptly set out for that location.

Members of the Boone County Sheriff’s Dept. arrived first. They reported heavy black smoke and a good-sized machine barn that was fully involved in flames. The barn contained six tractors, a boat, tires, tools, and containers of oil, gasoline, and other flammables.

“The roof collapsed shortly after we got there,” said Chief Kent Hulett. “We did exterior fighting only. There are no hydrants out there so we called for help. The Belvidere Fire Dept., North Boone and Capron Fire, Kirkland Fire, Capron Rescue, Lifeline Ambulance, and EMA responded.

“No one was hurt. We had about 30 firefighters on site and we got the fire under control within half an hour.

“The family had been home all day working on the yard. The wife looked out the window and asked her husband if he was burning something. He ran out to the barn and opened the door. Smoke roiled out and 911 was called.

“There has to be over $100,000 of fire loss.”